Monday 10 November 2014

Make up tutorial- Burns by Charlotte Clark

The first step is to moisturise your hand with vaseline and hand cream, which in this case I used 'Nivea Moisturing Day Cream'. This is vital to do first as it makes it easier to get the make up off as it prevents from the latex sticking to your hairs on your arm. It also makes it easier for the latex to be spread on as it lubricates the skin, as the skin become a little oily and smooth. After applying this, with a paintbrush apply the 'Zombie Skin Latex Solution' on the dedicated area. Using paint brush means you can range the latex to where ever you desire. As you can see, I have applied the latex to the side of my right hand. Once I smeared the solution on my skin, I waited for this first layer to dry slightly, which the main importance of this stage is to not let the latex to completely dry. From this picture the clear sections are the dry locations and the white sections are the wetter, more damper parts.

The second stage is where you add thin strands of tissue paper or tissue, which I used. Adding this tissue will create the rigid texture to our burn. At this stage you will think this will not turn out that well, but don't it works perfectly! I made sure the tissue I used was very thin so the rigid texture would not be too big to make it less realistic and ensuring it will stick to the latex. I placed the tissue randomly, making the final outcome look like I have been burned in numerous places on my hand. Some sections can be overlapping to raise the texture; this would put depth into the burn ensuring the realism of the injury.

After I placed the tissue on my hand, I added another coating of latex over the tissue. This would aid the adhesiveness of the latex holding the tissue to the skin, making sure it does not come unstuck. I also added this second layer as due to the liquid solution it dampens the tissue, which creates further texture to the burn! If the tissue begins to fray or not stick just add another coat over the tissue. To help fasten up the process you can use a hairdryer to dry the latex, however this may move the tissue slightly, therefore disrupting the burn design.
The bottom picture shows when the latex has dried. I didn't use a hairdryer therefore my design of my burn stayed in tacted. The white section on my hand are the dried pieces of tissue. As you can see. these sections are raised and creates the depthness of the burn.

Once dried I added the first of many coats of paint to the dried tissue latex. The first coloured paint I used was my vibrant red, which I sponged on the central part of the burn. I used the lightest colour first so that I can create a gradient of colour from light to dark from middle to out. I used a sponges so I could accurately apply the paint into every crevice therefore putting shade into the burn. I didn't cover all the white as I wanted to apply darker colours here primary to others.

 I then started to apply a ruby red coloured paint and different shades of browns. This, as you can see, creates an illusion of the different shades of blood within the burn. I sponged on the browns mainly on the surrounding of the red, so I can reinforce the gradient I wanted to create. I also added other colours, such as; dark browns, maroons and jet black. This gives further depths and increase the grotesque of the burn, therefore enhancing the realism of the injury. This is vital as we do not want out trailer to be seen as tacky, if we do use this make up tutorial for our protagonists.
This is the final outcome of my burn. As you can see I added various dark colours such as black to create an ash like appearance, which reinforces that the injury is a burn. These dark colours also suggests that the blood as congealed due to the sweltering heat from the fire, which caused this injury. This injury could be used in our horror film as it is gory and very realistic. It also could create an enigma on how our protagonist gained this burn. This could just be used to add to the emphasis the realism of our trailer.
I also experimented by cutting the latex by with scissors, to create a deep gash into the skin. This increase the goriness of the injury, which emphasises that the trailer is a horror, therefore following the conventions of this genre. Due to the skin flapping, the paint inside looks wet suggesting the wound is still sore and recent, which would be ideal as we could reveal this after the protagonist has been cut something or someone...

No comments:

Post a Comment